QianXing’s Weekly Response #9

After reading Backpacks vs.Briefcases, I feel like rhetoric is amazing.  Before reading this, I thought rhetoric are only exists in our English assignments, but right now I notice that rhetoric can be anywhere in our life. For example, speeches, youtube videos , medias, articles and newspaper. Also, when you start analyzing people for the first time, this is also rhetoric. I also feel surprise after I read this article, because I am not a type of person who is really good at using rhetoric while I am doing my homework assignments, but I am really good at analyzing people which is also a type of rhetoric. When I first meet a new friend, I will always observe them.  I will observe the way they dress, the way they speak, and the way they behave, and by doing that I will have some sense about this person. I will avoid people who are wearing improper clothes. I will avoid people who talk really loud because I think those people are very offensive in a way which is taught by my parents. Usually my predictions are very close to their personalities because just like what is mentioned in the article, I have enough data to prove it inside my mind. Sometimes I don’t want to do this kind of predictions because I don’t want to judge people based on how they dress,look,or speak. I want to spend time with them and know who they are, but I can’t stop doing it. I just do it without me knowing it.  Additionally, one thing I really hate about myself is that if I meet a person that I have never met before, I will judge their character based on how they look. If they are good looking, then I will think they are good people. If they are not, then I will try to avoid them. I feel like a lot of people do the same thing. They judge people based on how they look. Something with Ad. If I see an Ad with colorful pictures, bigger texts, I would likely to be attracted by it because I like colorful pictures with bigger words. I judge the Ad base on their looks. If they look bad, I wouldn’t bother to read it . Other than observing people, I have also practice rhetoric by taking speech class last semester. I feel like this entire course is about rhetoric. I have to use elements like pathos, ethos, and logos in my speeches in order to persuade my classmate. Also, my professor made me talk at the beginning of the class about what we saw and what we experienced. I feel like this is one of the element included in the rhetoric. Overall, I have been practicing rhetoric without myself knowing it.