zhihong week one response

After reading the cartoon, I think the idea that the cartoon reading is trying to express the point that people view the word or idea differently. Some think it is positive and some think it is negative. On page 36 the way people using the word “rhetoric” make Elizabeth Losh(one of the character in the cartoon) feel annoying which indicates the negative connotation of how people don’t understand the meaning of the word rhetoric. But it means the way of writing or speaking technique. In the cartoon Aristotle think rhetoric is about ethos, pathos and logos which his teach think he is in his own idealistic world (false world). The rhetorical question is the way to let people think of the important point in the question, but just like the cartoon showing how people think the rhetorical question is to end the conversation. The way people understand the idea make the “rhetorical question” to have the different connotation. I have experience that when I first learning English as second language, my teacher told me that when asking a “rhetorical question” there should not be an answer to the question. And I try to use rhetorical question to end the conversation in the discussion and my teacher ask me what the question is and what is the point of the question then I told my teacher that is the way I understand the rhetorical question. So, this will be different understanding of the idea because of the way people function over their brain. I agree with the key point that people view the word/idea differently according to the understanding of the explanation of the word/idea. Which the language barriers and the differences between people proceed the different connotation of the word/idea, the meaning people apply to the word/idea will depend on the way people understanding it.