Weekly Response #3

In the show Star trek, they were debating if Data, a andriod, can be seen as a person with the same rights as a human, At the beginning of the argument, I beleived that andriods dont have any rights but the person defending Data changed my mind. He convinced me that Data can have right becuase he is intellegents, self-aware, and has a concussion. He proved to me that all these traits can be seen in Data as well as another statement said by him. He stated, ” Humans give birth to other humans that also have rights”. Why can andriods that are also created by humans also have the same rights. These are two great points made in the show, but I still beleive that even though AIs are great and all, they have the power to take over humasn because they are able to think many steps ahead of us as well as are able to learn faster than us humans. On the other hand, the excerpt from the book tells us that the internet isnt a safe place becuass of how it was designed and programmed with algorithims that promote, “sexist and racist attitudes openly at work and beyond.”

-Tanvir Youhana