Geetangalie’s Self Reflection #1

For my lab report, I wrote about the effects of potassium chloride (KCl) on the swimming speed of Paramecium. In this report, I could improve on my making my report more inclusive for readers. For this report, I had a specific audience, those who have has basic knowledge of biology on the college level. In my report, I spoke of certain lab techniques that might not be common knowledge for students with non-science majors. Taking time in the report to give more details on execution might have benefited my report.

In creating this composition, the most difficult section was the justification. A justification is found at the beginning of a scientific lab report where you state what led to you choosing the experiment you did and what made you come to the assumption you have made in your hypothesis. If I were to do something differently it would be finding out more research on the chemical I used. This would, in turn, help me to construct a stronger justification, because I would have a secure reason behind my hypothesis.

In my opinion, I did best on creating efficient data analysis tables with appropriate labels. I did well not only at computing the numbers correctly but with writing captions and titles also. I used precise significant figures and broke the data into sections that would be easily interpreted. I made sure to not only use tables but graphs to present the data in different forms to show their significance.

I believe, that based on the work I have submitted, I deserve a grade of an A. My lab report was sufficient in detail while keeping it to the point. In scientific lab reports, it is important to give the important details without sentence padding, and I believe I have done so efficiently. I have presented all the information needed to replicate such an experiment while keeping to the true scientific method form.  In my opinion, I would lose points for not having other visual aids. Although I did have tables and figures, and it is not necessary to have other images, the addition of myself actually doing the experiment and the tools I used would make it easier for outsiders to replicate the experiment and not get confused.