QianXing’s Weekly Response #8

After watching the episode San Junipero and The entire history of you, I felt very nervous and uncomfortable. In these episodes, the technology seems like a disaster to me. For San Junipero, it is saying that we are capable of programming ourselves inside an imaginary world, where we can live forever. It sounds like a really good idea. However, as we know, every program has a limited memory, if everyone chooses to go to that imaginary world, that world will be overpopulated soon.  Also, what if people use that as a kind of weapon? Some people might “store” people they don’t like inside the world, that basically “kills” that person indirectly. Since if you are inside the program, you do not have conscious in the real world. On the other hand, San Junipero does portray a good relationship, even though I do not like the technology inside it. At the end, Kelly chooses to be pass over, so when she passes away, she can live with Yorkie afterlife. However, while in the story, Kelly states that she doesn’t want to be pass over, because she doesn’t want to live in a world without her daughter and her husband, but she still does it at the end. This makes me think that Kelly loves Yorkie a lot and Yorkie makes her know and accept that she loves women as well as men. It is a very good ending. Those two people finally accept themselves as a homosexual person and live as a homosexual person. I feel proud about them.

For the entire history of you, I have actually no positive feelings towards it (it’s a good episode don’t get me wrong) I can’t really accept the story or the technology inside it. I just can’t imagine a world where people can rewind their memories and store them permanently. While it might be a good thing for test takers or someone who is bad at memories, it is awful. People’s brain is designed in a way, so we can forget things- usually those unhappy events.  However, this technology stores every details, which means you can’t really get over when a really bad things happen on you. Just like in the story, Liam keeps thinking about his wife is having an affair with another man and he keeps focusing on that to a point that it is affecting his life or almost makes him a criminal because he threatens Jonas to delete his memory with Ffion. However, I do feel lucky for Liam that at the end he finally finds out the relationship between Ffion and Jonas, otherwise Ffion and Jonas might keep doing their things in the future. I feel both Ffion and Jonas are piece of garbage since they know doing so will destroy a family, they still do it. Poor Liam. Overall, I do not like this technology. It makes possible that people can read your memories at anytime. This is terrible, since we want to keep some of our memories as secret.  

Technology is a good way to boost the communication of people. Both technology in both episodes boost the relationship.  Because of the program, dead people or elderly people can communicate with each other. Because of the permanent memory, people are likely to have more topic to talk about while they are on a party since they can just recall their memory.  However, too much of that might cause troubles. Liam became crazy because of that program because he paid too much attention on everything and people in San Junipero basically is having sex with each other, they don’t really have a good relationship with each other.