#Week7

#Week7

Black Mirror – Season 3 Ep: 1 – Nosedive 

Nosedive was one of my favorite episodes. It fairly depicted what social media could possibly already be doing to society’s temperament of it’s individuals. It was heightened and made more scary by denoting it’s data as the core for all other goverment technology. Everything a person did was denoted by their rating of every interaction. However, the introduction of her co-worker looking to get good ratings by offering coffee to the whole office but she falling for the bait as she was “late to the party” was awesome! It captured the essence of the weakest link. A phrase used to describe a component of a team that has been quantified and it’s capacity recorded by some experience or happenstance. However, with technology and these ratings, the temperament of being a “weak link” in a team get’s stressed by the concept of ratings that one has to work to the decimal point to better. Forget worrying about a GPA, your life is rated and freaking out about that in my opinion based on this episode is down right necessary. The ending where she crashes her best friends wedding is where I established my ultimate connection with this episode. I know the synopsis of the story is kind of the detail but the subtle elephant in the room is directed and conveyed so well that I had to ask myself where I stood amongst my buddies in a wedding setting. Not just any wedding setting. The wedding of whom I consider to care for me as a friend as I care enough to proclaim to the whole world that I consider that person a solid control in my program. Social media as a sensor for such a deep concept is a dangerous facilitator when it comes from such a adolescent generation. It’s almost like asking a robot to give a patient bad news because it’s mechanical cousin “life-support machine” has been keeping Johnny alive so long. Why not?!