#Week6

#Week6

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3 Episode 16, “The Offspring” (Netflix)

This episode was a good one to compare to today’s robot revolution. Data’s connection to Lal was somewhat cold and antiquated. Although the later denotes a negative vibe, it would be better restated as “colloquial” amidst robots akin to robot life. Data is a remarkable machine capable of calculating and analyzing large and complex sets of data very fast. As it goes on the show, he embodies walking, living technology. I don’t know how else to ascribe the following criteria to some principle of intelligence other than to share the following: I still remember the smartest kid in my high school class. And although he is not my “brain-child” nor I his. I will forever compare my idea of intelligence and standards for being smart by his scale. Similarly to how Data is portrayed on the show. Data embodyies high-tech hardware with human characteristics and not to mentions is smartest specimen in the galaxy. And he just created a “child.” An entity new to the universe that maintains his abilities and some….  If I properly adhere to the principles of mechanical engineering then as it evolves I won’t have to worry about my morals changing with the demographic of my scope. Data’s offspring did not live to see his age. Which is the key element. His age, like technology will soon be timeless. If humans integrate technology the way they intend for the future to do, like toilet appear; then the many facets of its influence will be endless and that much more monumental to the human temperament.