Kayla’s Week 1 Response

Authors Elizabeth Losh and Jonathan Alexander are both experienced in teaching about the art of writing. In the comic in which they contributed to, “Understanding Rhetoric A Graphic Guide to WRITING”, they are teaching the reader about the deceptive connotation it possesses, and the history behind it. Losh and Alexander have stated on page 36 that rhetoric has a bad reputation because it’s often used in regard to politics and how politicians always use rhetoric to lie their way into office. I agree with this point because when I first was introduced to rhetoric, it seemed as if it was a way for people to sugar coat what they really were trying to say in their writing and trick the readers into agreeing with their point. However, upon learning more about rhetoric, I learned that rhetoric is a way to write to strengthen the argument. By using logos, pathos, and ethos, the author is using methods to show that the argument has a point and why its logical to agree. Losh and Alexander have also showed throughout the comic the orgins of rhetoric. Dating back to Ancient Greece when Plato believed that rhetoric was a way to lie about the truth to today when people use rhetoric everywhere without even realizing- on online profiles, for example. Losh and Alexander have introduced me to kairos, the opportunity for speaking meaning that it is important to know the appropriateness and the timing of having a voice on the topic. I am in agreement with this point because one should consider the long-term effect of voicing their opinion. Are they responding to the topic because everyone else is or is it for a purpose? An example of this would be the travel bans enacted by President Trump. Many have voiced their opinion on this topic and in this case, the topic will be brought up constantly and its one that someone will always have an argument for.