Week Response 7

In the episode of Black Mirror season 3 called Nosedive, I got a glimpse of what life would look like if people were held to a rating system. People often come across on social media as if everything is perfect in their life and you typically don’t see the real them. I believe social media also leads to less meaningful in person relationships in a person’s life. Therefore, I choose to not be on any form of social media but also because I’m just not a huge fan.
In Nosedive people are giving a rating between 1 and 5 based on your interactions. This obviously makes some people want to live like they do on social media, so they come across as awesome and get 5-star ratings. People with scores over 4 are looked upon favorably and are even eligible for perks that others aren’t.
I was very interested in this episode and thought something like this could be possible in the future. People are increasingly becoming obsessed with gamified systems that they can see immediate gratification from. If restaurants, schools, drug stores and everything else is held to a rating why not humans? The only issue is who would represent themselves truthfully. Everyone would be acting fake 24/7 and anxiety and depression would likely be through the roof.
It was especially interesting when the main character saw what her life could look like if her rating was high enough and she was able to get the apartment she wanted. It totally took over her life and she became obsessed with hitting the star mark.