Week #6 Response

In this episode, Data becomes a father. He creates another android, naming her Lal. This episode not only re-examines Data’s rights, but the rights of all androids like Data. It also tackles a very difficult subject: tech and ethics. The most emotional moment to watch was when Lal came to realization that she would be separated from her father. Experiencing a flood of emotion, and not knowing what to do with it, she went to Counselor Troi’s quarters. The something in my eyes began to appear with the words, “I feel…” while she struck her chest with the tips of her fingers, later to be followed with, “This is what it means to feel!” This episode is a very powerful episode for me.The actress who plays Lal does such a remarkable job in her role as well. She is able to portray so many emotions even when remaining as an android. I really wished that it could had more time with Data and Lal on the show but then again, this single moment in time was probably more impactful than any long story arc it could have had.